Location and Accessibility Information
407 Alumni Road
Rochester, NY 14627
The Sloan Performing Arts Center was designed to allow visitors to navigate into and around without needing to use the stairs. It includes slip resistant paths that are at least 36 inches wide and has curb cuts to allow for easy access in drives, parking, and drop off. The building has also been laid out to make it easier for someone using a cane to easily see objects that may be in their path.
The slope for entrance ramp is no greater than 1:12.
There is one accessible parking space on Wilson Blvd. directly outside the entrance. Additional accessible parking arrangements require advance request, which can be done by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entrance doors have at least 32” of clear opening and can be opened with five pounds or less pressure. There is at least 18” of clear wall on the pull side of door, next to handle, with no door handle higher than 48”. All door handles can be open with a closed fist. Threshold edge is accessible at less than ¼”.
All of our rooms and spaces have:
- Aisles and pathways to materials and services at least 36” wide
- 18” clearance when using the double door
- 5’ circle or T-shaped space for turning a wheelchair completely
- Obstacles are cane-detectable in circulation paths through public areas
There is no fixed seating at the Center. All seating is on risers, with accessible ground seating available in front row. Companion seating is also available (padded chairs).
Counters have unobstructed space in front that measure 56” x 48” and are not higher than 36”. Items such as straws, napkins, etc. are easily reachable on counter.
Water fountain spouts are no higher than 36” and can be operated independently with a closed fist. Water fountains also have clear knee space for easy access.
All public levels accessible by elevator. Each elevator has:
- Call buttons no higher than 42”
- Car controls no higher than 48” with emergency controls no higher than 35”
- 60” diameter circle for t-turn with shut doors
- Hoist way signs at both jambs with braille (raised characters and tactile) at between 48” and 60”
- No audible tones to note current floor
- Visual cues on the elevator indicating floor and direction
Accessible restrooms are available throughout the center and include:
- Pictograms used to identify restrooms
- Doorways with at least 32” of clearance
- Doors equipped with accessible handles
- Adequate maneuvering space for a person using a wheelchair (6.5’)
- 36” wide path to all fixtures
- Stall doors operable with closed fist
- Grab bars behind and on the side of wall nearest to the toilet
- Toilet seat less than 19” high
- Faucet operable with closed fist
- Soap and paper towel dispensers not higher than 44”