Associate Dean for Strategy and Innovation
(Held by Professor Thomas Devaney)
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Associate Dean for Strategy and Innovation (AD-SI) has oversight over strategic activities in the school and takes a holistic view of operations in order to propose and implement innovations. The AD-SI directly reports to the dean of the school. The AD-SI role is reserved for tenured (rank of associate or full) faculty members of the SAS, and is expected to be 50% administrative effort.
The successful incumbent will have excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills; working with a high degree of professionalism, integrity, discretion, and tact; experience building long-term professional relationships with a wide variety of different individuals based on trust, predictability, and effective communications; experience successfully promoting a positive working environment that encourages creativity, efficiency, and receptivity to change; and the ability to work as a member of a team in a dynamic environment. Having the ability to handle multiple priorities under deadlines while maintaining a high level of professionalism and attention to detail is of the utmost importance.
The current responsibilities of the AD-SI role include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in strategic management
- Strategizes, coordinates, implements, and facilitates major projects and key management and hiring decisions with and for the Dean.
- Works with the Dean, the AD-AP and AD-FA, and the School staff to develop, revise, and implement the School’s ongoing strategic planning process through formulation of policies and co-creation of initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with other members of the Dean’s leadership team responding to strategic initiatives impacting the School.
- Advises Dean on any matters of importance to the school, and alerts Dean to critical issues.
- Establishes and maintain relationships with leadership and faculty in each SAS unit.
- Ensures uniformity of decision making across departmental units at the decanal level.
- Supports AD-AP in their management and development of programs.
- Works with Associate Vice Provost for Academic Equity, AD-FA, and AD-AP to advance DEI in our curriculum, recruiting, and culture and assists departments with faculty governance
- Reviews and revises AS&E Rules & Regulations, with Faculty Council/faculty input when appropriate.
- Researches and prepares briefing materials for the Dean as requested on a variety of issues.
- Participates in the annual SAS budget
- Support staff affairs
- Interface with AS&E Chief of Staff and HR Business Partner to resolve staff personnel issues in a timely manner
- Works collaboratively with other members of the Dean’s leadership team to assess staffing needs and develop innovative approaches to staffing
- Reviews and evaluate staff performance data for internal recognition in consultation with department leadership and AS&E chief of staff
- Assists with and encourages preparation of nomination files for staff recognition
- Enhance faculty recognition
- Reviews and evaluates faculty data for internal and external recognition in consultation with AD-FA, Dean for Research, and department leadership
- Assist and encourage in preparation of nomination files for faculty recognition
- Work with Communications Officer on marketing communications and web pages to align with brand and strategic vision
- Identifies faculty to speak with media upon request from University Communications.
- Recruits faculty for service on University ad-hoc and standing committees and events as relevant.
- Participate in key Alumni/Advancement Events and Marketing Initiatives
- Attend the A&S National Council, AS&E Advisory Council and key alumni events.