Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs (open)
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs (AD-FA) has oversight over the faculty of the school and directly reports to the dean of the school. The AD-FA role is reserved for tenured senior (rank of full professor) faculty members of SAS, and is expected to be 50% administrative effort.
The successful incumbent will have excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills; working with a high degree of professionalism, integrity, discretion, and tact; experience building long-term professional relationships with a wide variety of different individuals based on trust, predictability, and effective communications; experience successfully promoting a positive working environment that encourages creativity, efficiency, and receptivity to change; and the ability to work as a member of a team in a dynamic environment. Having the ability to handle multiple priorities under deadlines while maintaining a high level of professionalism and attention to detail is of the utmost importance.
The current responsibilities of the AD-FA role include, but are not limited to:
- Support faculty recruitment:
- Helps determine SAS’s recruiting needs in consultation with the unit chairs/directors, AD-SI, AD-AP, and the Dean.
- Reviews job postings with the Director for AS&E Faculty Affairs and the Associate Vice Provost for Academic Equity for accuracy and content and ensures postings are done in a timely and comprehensive manner
- Works with Associate Vice Provost for Academic Equity to advance DEI in our recruiting and culture.
- Reviews finalist T-T candidates and meets with each finalist candidate.
- Reviews new instructional, research, and adjunct appointments for appropriate qualifications.
- Prepares cases for final review by the Dean.
- Support and advance faculty development & onboarding:
- Oversees onboarding of new faculty in collaboration with Associate Vice Provost for Academic Equity.
- Reviews course evaluations and observations with AD-AP and meets with Department Chairs and Program Directors as necessary.
- Oversees promotions and 3rd-year T-T assistant professor reviews.
- Oversees reappointments for teaching, research, and adjunct faculty.
- Prepares cases for review by the Dean.
- Oversees leave request process, and forwards recommendations to Provost.
- Establishes and maintain relationships with leadership and faculty in each SAS unit.
- Responds to inquiries about faculty adherence to University and SAS policies, reviews management plans, and consults with University staff, including the Legal Department, as appropriate.
- Participate in Strategic Management
- Advises Dean on any matters of importance to the school, and alerts Dean to critical issues.
- Represents SAS on appropriate University and external committees.
- Participates in the annual SAS budget review for all areas of the School
- Compiles performance data in May/June and reviews departmental salary raise proposals for faculty
- Advises on the implementation of the Strategic Plan areas related to intellectual capital.
- Participate in key Alumni/Advancement Events and Marketing Initiatives
- Attend the A&S National Council, AS&E Advisory Council and key alumni events.