Today, Monday, March 7, 2016 ( ~ 8 years after graduating) I made a visit to my undergraduate institution in Ife Nigeria. Even more exciting, I got a personal tour of the IFE FDSN__AF__Africa_Arrayseismic station, one of the five seismic stations on the Nigerian National Network of Seismographic Stations (NNNSS) and one of three on the AfricaArray (photo on the left). I am flanked by my former undergraduate thesis advisor and head of the department of computer science, Dr. Oluwarati, the resident expert on the seismic installation, and geophysics professor, Dr. Adepelumi and my mum (photo below). I learn about the seismic stations, located in a buried vault, securely guarded and under lock and key. The seismic station is an Eentec EP-105, has a GPS unit, data logger, telemetry system and a solar power system which allows it to run continuously . AtSeismicStationThe station is located in the quiet neighborhood of the research farm at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, ~ 138 miles from Lagos, Nigeria. It possesses all the capabilities to monitor, record and telemeter distant earthquake sources to the local IRIS facility. It started recording earthquakes in 2008 (same year I graduated from Ife) and as of 2011, all the data has been made freely available for download and access through the normal IRIS data access channels.

I hope to learn more about the data and keep an eye towards future research applications of the data to the study of the geology, tectonics, structure and architecture of the crust and mantle in Western Africa.

I include here a summary of papers that explore the elastic properties in Nigeria derived from this station and a selection of recently published work using the seismic data:

1. Ofonime Akpan, Andrew Nyblade, Chiedu Okereke  , Michael Oden , Erica Emry , Jordi Julià (2016),  Crustal structure of Nigeria and Southern Ghana, West Africa from P-wave receiver functions [Tectonophysics]
  2. Madu Uchenna Onwuhaka (2014),  SWOT Analysis of Nigerian National Network of Seismological stations (NNNSS) as Auxiliary Stations at EIF [poster]
  3. Yakubu Tahir Abubakar (2014), Investigation of the crust and upper mantle structures from teleseismic p-wave travel time residuals [PhD dissertation]
  4. Kadiri Umar Afegbua and  F.O. Ezomo (2013), Estimating sources of noise to Network of Nigerian Seismic Stations, [research paper]
  5. Kadiri Umar Afegbua et al., (2011), Towards an integrated seismic hazard monitoring in Nigeria using geophysical and geodetic techniques  [research paper]
A return to Nigeria and an AfricaArray station